Thursday, January 6, 2011

New years.

So I realize that by saying that I had the students over for a sleepover party that I must sound like


The sketchiest teacher on the planet.


That's fair. It sounds creepy to me to! Before jumping to some outrageous conclusions let me tell you the context.


It was one of my most memorable and fun experiences here. The students rarely get to leave the area close to the school and to ring in the New Years the right way you need to escape to a place you can relax and have a good time.

So I told the students to come to my house at 7:30, bring all the food and drinks and enjoy a night out. They told me that a few of them were going to show up at 4:30 to start cooking food.

At 4:30 eveyone shows up.


I had cleaned and set up the living room of the house for them, organized the kitchen indoors and thought I had everything ready. When they show up they start sweeping and cleaning up under my house where I store all the extra furniture and do my laundry and cleaning. I was like "guys, inside is all clean and set up for you", they respond with: "But down here is so nice, we want to stay here!" Before I know it they are making noodles in my laundry tub, using an old piece of plywood as a cutting board, and washing the fruit and vegetables with my garden hose. It was like clockwork - everyone working at something.

Then when I thought it was time to eat the feast they had prepared, they told me that now they were all going to have showers to get ready. 30 students.

About 1.5 hours later we sat down and ate more food than any of us could eat. It was so awesome to sit back and watch them having a great time.

I was telling a friend that here, it's easy to make big deals. It's easy to put on an event that the students will love. All you have to do is treat them the way you want to be treated and give access to some of the benefits of the lifestyle I take for granted at home.

I had some mattresses and sleeping pads and the boys took one room and the girls the other. In the morning we had a breakfast of leftover stir fry.

The funniest thing was that they kept asking me all night "teacher, at 12 o'clock can we shout?"
I was like, "yeah, that's what people do to celebrate." Shouting and creating a loud scene is something that the student's don't really get to do. So when the clock counted down to 12


we shouted at the top of our lungs.


1 comment:

  1. Creepy teacher, along with the thought; "blue pages", definitely crossed my mind. Good thing you're not teaching in Ontario though! It sounds like the kids had a great night. As well as yourself. Would have loved to have been there for that countdown!!

    Noodles in a tub.. mmm :)

    ReplyDelete