Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Like a river.

So I have been slacking on my posting which could mean a number of things:

1. I'm getting lazy (most likely true)
2. My life is dull and uninspiring (...I personally definately don't think so)
3. I guess you could say I'm getting settled...

I think it is a combo of #1 and 3. Most people have told me that it takes around 3 months to start to get used to a new culture and although I am still learning new things about Thai and Burmese culture everyday (today I learned that it's better to slow down when street dogs come chasing after you on your bike rather than speed up (which makes them chase you longer and bark more...)) I think I am beginning to feel like this place is not a just new experience, but rather a new "home". There are so many things I love about this place and so many things that this place has made me appreciate more about my home in Canada.

School is coming to an end this week. I just finished marking the math exams and have submitted final grades. Friday is graduation. Where has 3 months gone? The new students arrive next week and a new semester begins. I will be teaching math and science as well as running a teacher-training program for graduated students alongside 2 other teachers here (Because of all my teaching experience...). I am really excited about the teacher training vocational program because it gives concrete, transferable skills to graduated students who want to become teachers. They will be doing a "practicum" with me and the other teachers and hopefully we can give them the skills to get a position teaching in the Burmese community. Currently we are designing the program and figuring out all the logistics. It will begin in a month.

I'm not sure if you've seen this on the news, but tomorrow our school is hosting the 2011 World Cup. Big Deal. We have a trophy and everything. There is mens and womens tournament, each with teams of 4. I'm on team Canada...Canada is the best country in the world, just not at soccer.

We are going to change that.

I read that it was a snow day in Southern Ontario today. I wish I could be at home to shovel and get in car accidents...I actually miss the cold weather like crazy. There are no runs open on the Thai ski hills at the moment...




No comments:

Post a Comment