Thursday, April 14, 2011

Sorry about the Silence

A lot has happened in the past 2 weeks, again I dropped the ball with the blog...

1. I got to be a model at a fashion show.

Let me explain. I met a friend who NEEDED foreigners to model new clothes made by local women. The clothes are being marketed towards people from other countries so, they needed foreigners to wear the clothes to make the products look legit. I got to wear a fanny pack, a weaved bracelet and a bucket hat. The pinnacle of style. Maybe this whole teaching gig is over-rated...I think I have found my true calling...

2. I got a full time teaching job starting in June. I will be teaching math and science at an amazing school. The school gets around 600+ applicants from all the refugee camps, tests them all and accepts the top 24 students. The program’s focus is getting these students to write and pass the American GED highschool equivalency test and get into university. While learning, the students learn how to write scholarship applications and apply to different universities. I will be responsible for teaching them math and science. So far the school has sent many students to university who would never have the opportunity otherwise. I’m stoked that I get the privilege to work at such an influential place.

3. Right now it is Sonkran, the Buddhist New Year Water Festival. It is a 4 day water fight and I have been soaking wet for at least 8 hours a day...On Monday there was no class so I went to a plumbing store and bought PVC pipe and the students and I made hydraulic water guns to use for the festival, however, now I am seriously having second thoughts that that was a good idea... The next day we made a stage out of bamboo and Co

4. I am coming back to Canada for the month of May and am looking forward to connecting with everyone again...and not eating rice...

No comments:

Post a Comment