Saturday, March 26, 2011

Earthquakes and Gardening.

This past weekend I worked as a landscaper. It felt great to use my hands and help a friend who has been working to make an artistic garden for a new art co-op center in town. The garden opening party was scheduled for Sunday but it rained hard the entire week so some extra help was needed to complete this unique project. I remember being woken up by my Dad earlier Saturday mornings to work outside around the house, the strange thing is that I actually enjoy that kind of work and it was kind of relaxing to just shovel and not have to think too much...

This past week I had to travel to the to boarder (12h each way...) to renew my VISA. Most visitors to Thailand need to do this every 2 months, this was my second time and I definitely did not look forward to it. I went to Tachileik, Burma to get my visa renewed. It was interesting being inside Burma and when I was eating my lunch a random dude who spoke English came and sat down with me and told me all about his life (which I feel would make a great biography...) and the situation in Burma. It made the trip worthwhile to have a great conversation.

I got a call from him today because the earthquake that struck Thailand and Burma was most devastating where I had been just 10 hours earlier...Him and his family are alright but the damage and death count are enormous. Almost nothing about the impact of the earthquake in Burma has made it to national news and hardly anyone knows the extent of the damage. This is a prime example of how news is edited and manipulated by the government so that the truth is rarely heard by the international community. My thoughts and prayers go out to the people from a country who oppresses their own voices and needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment