Sunday, March 6, 2011

Getting back to my roots.

This past weekend I competed in the Mae Sot Marathon. It was an intense race for all 5 competitors...

So it wasn't one of the well-orchestrated, chip timed, podium finishing races like back home, but I had a great time. We had a water crew that biked ahead on a scooter and stopped to give us directions and beverages along the way and everyone finished a true champion. I could wring out my shorts by the end I had sweat so much...My time was 1:54. Not quite like back in my glory days of running but for no training I'll take it (and I didn't get injured!). Running is not too popular here (you probably figured that out already) and we got some great motivation from all the local people we passed. They looked at us like we were absolutely crazy and asked the age old question you here almost everyday here:

"Hey! Where you go?"

A great day.


I'm feeling especially Greek these days - I mean the marathon was created in Greece and on Monday at 9:30 I got told that I had been scheduled to teach grammar at 11 each day. Hmm. So I did what any good Greek would do: I looked up Greek myths on Youtube and we watched stories and did presentations on some of the big questions the myths raised like,

If you had shoes with wings on them where would you fly to?
If you had a cap of invisibility where would you go?
If you were Daedalus, what would you do after King Minas forced you to run for your life?

We also drew pictures of minotaurs and Gorgons from a written description to see what some of the students could come up with...Not the most quality teaching I have done, but it was fun and the students got a lot of opportunity to present and share ideas.

What will happen this week at school...only time will tell.




1 comment:

  1. Awesome finish time my friend. Especially for no training!! So proud :)

    Minotaurs and Gorgons.. haha LOVE IT! I wanna come to your class Mr. T

    ReplyDelete