Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Teacher Training.

This we the teacher training program begun. So far it has been great. Myself and another teacher got to design the program; choosing what activities and lessons would be the most beneficial for our students. It is crazy that I got to do this considering that people who do this in Canada have Ph.D's...hmm. We combined the curriculum from 2 different teacher training programs and added our own ideas - I'm excited about the result. I think it has made me a more aware teacher because now when I teach all I can think about is all the educational theories that I am following (or neglecting...). The course is very much discussion based and we dialogue a lot about the student's previous experiences. We made full body cut-outs of the students and they got and groups and wrote about effective and ineffective teachers they have had on the bodies. It was humbling to see how many of them grew up fearing their teachers because if they acted out they would get hit with a stick or made to stand isolated in an awkward position for a long period of time. Teachers would come to their classes drunk, embarrass and harass the students and teach using wrote memorization. It has made me even more thankful for the education I had - one where teachers were encouraging, where students were challenged to critically think, and one where the classroom was a place I (mostly) looked forward to going to.

Right now the students are in class with us for 2 hours a day. Next week the students will also be doing classroom observations at our school.

In other news, I have made a gym underneath my house using waterjugs that are delivered to the house. It's been my project for a few days now and I am loving being able to work out at my own place. (Movie to come soon...)

1 comment:

  1. Im looking forward to this video... stop making your fans wait Greg T!!!

    Also, I am in shock that you have created your own teacher education curriculum. What a wonderful opportunity! I love how far we've traveled to put our knowledge (and tuition dollars) to work. Definitely the right choice.

    ReplyDelete