Saturday, November 20, 2010

Arrival.

After 3 days of planes, trains and tuk tuks (a three wheeled taxi bike...very safe, obviously) I have arrived in Bangkok. This is a city where anything (anything) is possible. Today I drank pepsi out of a plastic bag with ice and a straw in it, was offered a squirrel to buy as a pet, and ate fruit I didn't even know existed. Money goes a long way: dinner for $1, Rayban sunglasses for $6 and a pint of beer for $1. I am staying in a hostel for $12 and can get anywhere in the city for under $2 by taxi. The city is rich with Buddhist culture, old world architechture and the latest technology. During a 1 minute walk downtown you can see people sleeping in the streets next to a brand new BMW next to a massage parlor offering 1 hour massages for $3. I could definitely spend a lot of time exploring this city but tomorrow I head north. The blog is called lessons taught. lessons learned, but I feel I will be doing a lot more learning than teaching.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent Greg! I'm glad to hear you've arrived safe and sound (if only in body)...can't wait to hear more of your travels :)
    (You already have me wanting ti visit there!)
    Lu

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you are okay!:) good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow glad to hear your trip is already turning out to be quite the adventure. One question: what is the reason for the pepsi in the plastic bag? Is that cultural? The new cost-effective way of serving drinks? Or you just being creative?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I come to visit...I hope there's a quicker way to find you!!

    ReplyDelete