Friday, December 31, 2010

What Money Can Buy.

It’s crazy how far money goes here. When I go out for food I feel like I am living way above my means...

...then the bill comes and I realize that everything together costs $3-4. Here are some examples of how far Canadian currency goes here as well as some figures that have made me think:

75 cents – amazing pad thai (essential)

80 cents – the price for an entire bag of cabbage. I’m talking like 16+ cabbages.

$1.25 – large bottle of beer (also essential)

$8 – the price you can expect to pay for one night at a beautiful guesthouse here.

$12 – the average monthly allowance for most students. Imagine living on $12 a month.

$13 – the price of a brand new soccer ball. Also the price of a pair of Asian soccer cleats.

$20 – the price of my Burmese guitar...it’s no Larrivee but for my skills it’s perfect.

$200 – the price to feed 60 students for a week. My school is in need of some extra funding because we are currently supporting about 60 students on a budget for 46. So if you have some extra Christmas money left over and you want a great cause check: http://burmaeducationfund.com/ . All the money goes directly to where it’s needed. If you choose to help out let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I cant help out now, but I can help out February 1st. I cant mail it though, i have to email money transfer it. (i cant mail stuff off the island.)

    Always up for supporting a great cause:)

    Let me know if it can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kyla! I'll look into it for you! Hope all is well in PC!

    ReplyDelete